Here are some tips for eating halal foods and drinks:
- Make sure that the products you buy have ingredients on their labels. If a product doesn’t have a label with ingredients, DON’T buy it.
- Always check the ingredients. You might want to print and keep the list of ingredients to avoid, listed in the “Ingredients” section of our web site. If one of these ingredients are found in a product, don’t buy it.
- Don’t buy any meat products from the supermarket. Try to buy all your meat from a halal meat store.
- Try to avoid fast-food restaurants such as McDonald’s, KFC, Subway, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. It might be true that some of their products are okay, but it is better to stay away and be safe.
- If you get a halal/haram list, make sure it is recent. There are many lists in circulation which are outdated and give out incorrect information.
- Be especially cautious in buying the following products: cheese, cheese flavour chips, cakes, cookies, french fries, candies, soups (may contain meat), sauce (may contain meat), margarine, yogurt, etc. If you are not sure about a product, ask us and we’ll try to help you the best we can.
- Go through our whole web site and keep coming back often. Join our mailing list
Generally, when dining out, it pays for people to ask the person serving the food as to what’s in the recipe. You’d be amazed at the number of dishes that contain alcohol or pork, the latter being very prevalent in Europe and America.
*** Want this information in a presentable, printable format for distribution or posting? Check out our ‘Publications‘ section.